Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the shelf-life of Backpacker’s Pantry?
- Where can I find the “Best By” date on your packages?
- Can you send me stickers?
- Is it possible to ship Backpacker’s Pantry abroad?
- Do you offer any gluten-free meals?
- Do you offer any vegan meals?
- Does your packaging contain BPA?
- Why are some Backpacker’s Pantry meals high in sodium?
- Are any of your backpacking products Kosher?
- What measures do you take to inspect your food?
- Where are you located?
- What are your “office” hours?
- Can I phone in an order?
- As a company that strives to preserve the natural environment, what are some of your “green” practices?
- Do you offer any organic meals?
- I have an allergy. Is your food suitable for me?
- Is your food freeze-dried or dehydrated?
- Where do your ingredients come from?
- Can I rehydrate your meals with cold water?
1.) What is the shelf-life of Backpacker’s Pantry?
- Our pouches have a 7-year shelf life. In 2016, we updated our Granola's. These pouches to a 3-year shelf life.
- Backpacker’s Pantry #10 Cans have a 25-year Shelf Life because of the way they are processed and packaged in the #10 Can. Two #10 can options have a 15 year shelf life. They are Fettuccini Alfredo w/ Chicken and Beef Stroganoff
- They undergo a nitrogen flush, a vacuum seal, and each can includes an oxygen absorber. We also made recipe adjustments when necessary to ensure the ingredients in the can would stand up to 25-years – for instance, the #10 Can of Granola w/ Bananas and Milk has non-fat milk (instead of the whole milk we use in the pouch meal); the #10 Can meals have white rice instead of the brown rice that we use in some of our pouch meals.
- We worked with a long-term food storage expert and a food scientist to come up with our #10 Can menu the 25-year shelf life. Our food underwent rigorous shelf-life testing in a food science lab as well.
2.) Where can I find the “Best By” date on your packages?
- A “Best By” date is embossed on every pouch. Depending on the style of the pouch, the embossment will either be located along the top seam or along the bottom seam. If you’re having a hard time finding it, run your fingers along the edges of the pouch until you feel the embossment.
3.) Can you send me stickers?
- Sure thing! We would love to send Backpacker's Pantry stickers to any of our fans. If you would like some stickers, please send a self-addressed envelope to us at: 6350 Gunpark Drive, Boulder, CO 80301.
4.) Is it possible to ship Backpacker’s Pantry abroad?
- Unfortunately, due to strict rules and regulations around importing food products, we are unable to ship items outside of the United States. You can find our products in other countries through the following distributors:
- Red Pine Outdoor Equipment http://www.redpineoutdoor.com/
- Mountain Equipment Co-Op http://www.mec.ca/
- Valhalla Pure Outfitters http://www.shop.vpo.ca/
5.) Do you offer any gluten-free meals?
- We offer 13 gluten free meals that we test to be less than 20 ppm. They are: Chana Masala, Pad Thai, Louisiana Red Beans & Rice, Katmandu Curry, Cuban Coconut Black Beans & Rice, Persian Peach Stew w/ Chicken, Shepherd's Potato Stew w/ Beef, Santa Fe Rice w/ Chicken, Jamaican Jerk Rice w/ Chicken, Chicken Vindaloo, Mashed Potatoes w/ Gravy & Beef, Beef Pho, and Rice w/ Chicken. Please contact our customer service department with any further questions: email@example.com or 800.641.0500.
6.) Do you offer any vegan meals?
- Yes. We currently offer 15 Vegan items and they are located on Page 3 of our Allergen Chart, which can be found in our “Downloads” Menu link.
7.) Does your packaging contain BPA?
- No. We are proud to offer our variety of meals in packaging that is 100% BPA free. So go ahead, cook right in the pouch!
8.) Why are some Backpacker’s pantry meals high in sodium?
- Please keep in mind, because our food is designed for use in an active lifestyle setting - hiking, biking, rock climbing, etc. - the sodium levels, calories, fat content, protein levels, etc. have to be higher than that of food you might eat for dinner on a normal day. When people are really exerting themselves, they need extra sodium and fat and calories to replenish their body. The sodium in particular helps to rebuild electrolytes that are lost during rigorous activity. We do have a number of delicious meals that are lower in sodium. A few of the most popular are: Pad Thai, Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce, Pesto Salmon Pasta,our Vegetable Medley, and all of our Organic Breakfasts.
9). Are any of your backpacking products Kosher?
- Unfortunately, our backpacking products are not certified Kosher. We do have a large assortment of spice blends that are certified Kosher. They can be found by visiting our sister company: Colorado Spice
10.) What measures do you take to inspect your food?
- We go above and beyond to ensure the safety of our food by subjecting all of our meat and chicken products to a daily inspection process by the USDA. Our facilities received a “Superior” rating, the highest possible, by The American Institute of Baking (AIB), an independent inspector committed to protecting the safety of the food supply. We also have a quality team who cooks and tastes each of the flavors being produced every day.
11.) Where are you located?
- We are based in beautiful Boulder, Colorado. Our address is 6350 Gunpark Drive, Boulder, CO, 80301. All of our products are produced and shipped from our Boulder, CO facility.
12.) What are your “office” hours?
- We are available by phone and e-mail Monday-Friday, 9 am – 5 pm MST.
13.) Can I phone in an order?
- Of course! Just call us toll free at (800) 641-0500
14.) As a company that strives to preserve the natural environment, what are some of your “green” practices?
- We are committed to serving our community and environment. We support many organizations that are dedicated to preserving our planet, and sponsor various volunteers and activists in their missions to explore and better understand our planet. We also recycle, compost, have highly efficient lighting, and are committed to continually making our business more self‐sustaining and becoming a net zero energy user.
15.) Do you offer any organic meals?
- Yes! Backpacker’s Pantry continues to expand its USDA certified organic line, as part of an ongoing effort to provide the highest-quality food while promoting sustainability. Organics come in a one-serving size and a variety of flavors including breakfast and entrée options. They can be found here.
16.) I have an allergy. Are your meals suitable for me?
- Although we use good manufacturing practices to segregate ingredients according to allergen program standards, and rigorously clean our equipment, our products are produced in a facility that processes peanuts, milk, soy, wheat, gluten, egg and tree nut ingredients. Please contact our customer service department with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org or 800.641.0500.
17.) Is your food freeze-dried or dehydrated?
- In addition to Backpacker’s Pantry, we also own and operate Colorado Spice, which supplies all-natural and organic spice blends to restaurants, grocers and snack food companies through the United States. Backpacker’s Pantry meals are made up of a combination of those same high-quality spices, and freeze-dried and dehydrated ingredients.
- We use this particular combination because it allows us to get creative and gourmet with our meals, and produces a light weight product that packs easily and is easy to prepare. And, the first time all of the ingredients are being cooked together is when the boiling water is poured in the bag, which definitely helps achieve the boldest, freshest flavors possible.
18.) Where do your ingredients come from?
- Backpacker's Pantry puts a lot of time and consideration into the process of sourcing the ingredients that go into all of our dishes.
- Our owner travels around the world in search of the best quality spices, and visits farms throughout the United States to find the delicious vegetables, dairy and meats.
- Backpacker's Pantry sources ingredients from U.S. farms whenever possible as a way to support the local farming industry, but also because we want all of our ingredients to be easily traceable back to the source to ensure their high quality and that they’re responsibly grown.
- For instance, the chilies in our Santa Fe Chicken, Pad Thai and other delicious dishes, come from a family farm in New Mexico. The tomatoes in our Spaghetti & Sauce, Louisiana Red Beans & Rice, and more come from a family farm in California. Our chicken is 100% natural white breast meat sourced from an Indiana farm.
- We have a professional chef on staff who then takes those fresh, tasty ingredients and bold spices and creating unique, flavorful dishes that also have the nutritional content our customers need to fuel their serious adventures. A lot of thought and love go into each of the Backpacker's Pantry meals.
19.) Can I rehydrate your meals with cold water?
- While we have not tested rehydrating meals with cold water, our meals will rehydrate with cold water, but the time required is significantly longer, one hour or more. Any of our Requires Cooking Meals should not be rehydrated with cold water. These would be any egg product, our Hot Apple Cobbler, or our Dumplings W/ Chicken. We recommend following the directions on the back of the pouch or can, if possible, for all of our meals.